This document describes how Tube Archivist identifies and treats links from YouTube.
Application logic of Tube Archivist is tied only to the IDs, not the names.
A video ID is 11 characters long, e.g.
Urls can have several forms:
- Watch URL: Regular URLs so will see while browsing YouTube, with the path /watch and a v parameter, e.g.
- Share URL: Link you will get when you click on share on a video, e.g.
- Shorts URL: e.g.
A channel ID is 24 characters long, e.g.
Channel URLs can have these forms, all will get translated to the ID:
- ID URL: With a channel path, e.g.
- Channel Handle: Starting with a
@this handle is personal and unique, e.g.
- Alias URL: Based off the channel handle, e.g.
Channel sub pages#
Tube archivist can separate between different subpages:
- Videos only:
- Shorts only:
- Streams only:
- Every other channel sub page will default to download all, for example
https://www.youtube.com/@IBRACORP/featuredwill download videos and shorts and streams.
A playlist ID can be
18 characters long, e.g.
- Playlist URLs start with a playlist path and has a list parameter, e.g.
Playlist vs Video URLs#
While browsing YouTube videos in Playlists, you might encounter URLs looking like that:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPZ0pIK_wsc&list=PL96C35uN7xGLLeET0dOWaKHkAlPsrkcha. As established above, based on the /watch path and the v parameter, Tube Archivist will treat this as a video with the ID
QPZ0pIK_wsc and not as a playlist. If you mean the playlist, you can easily grab the correct ID from the URL, e.g.